Tuesday, May 10, 2011

First Day

The first day was seriously intense. I have learned so much about Vietnam in just the few hours of being here. I'd have to say the very first thing I noticed upon arrival was the insane amount of traffic! There are hundreds of motorbikes in every direction. They aren't only on the , but they drive all over the sidewalks as well. Its really amazing the things they can fit on one motorbike. I have seen a family of four and many people carrying loads that are up to about 3 times the size of the bikes. The city itself is beautiful.  There are Big green palms and grass areas with pretty gardens all over the place. The streets are lined with trees. I can't wait to get out and explore more of the city.

When we first got to class they welcomed us by singing to us and dancing a traditional Vietnamese dance.  They even gave us gifts! The people here couldn't be more generous and welcoming. Talking with people from different cultures and backgrounds is really an experience everyone should have.  There isn't anything like it. I think it really opens your mind up to a world that may sometimes be out of your comfort zone.  I have already asked the UEF students so many questions already. Making friends is really easy, because everyone wants to get to know each other better.  I already have 2 e-mails and a lunch date! I think making new friends with the students is what I'm most excited about. They are all really interesting people. One girl, Huyen, and I talked for a long time.  She came with me to Vietnamese class and really helped me learn the proper pronunciation of things.  I hope that her and I can get a chance to talk more and become good friends. She has never been out of Vietnam before but she told me she wants to come study in the US. I hope she will come visit me when she does. I would love to give her the same experience in a foreign country that she has given me.  As we were leaving she told me she couldn't wait to make great memories with me and I couldn't agree more.
UEF Welcomes UP

Language Class


When we got to the US Consulate I felt extremely intimidated.  There were men with rifles and we had to go through security before we even entered the building. Im really glad we got to go there though.  I really enjoyed learning more about the relationship between Vietnam and the US.  I got a little emotional when Chuck Bennett took us out to the exact spot where the Tet Offensive occurred and US soldiers and Vietcong soldiers were shot and killed when the People's Army made an attack on the original US consulate. It was a really neat experience though, and I feel extremely honored to be given the opportunity to see that.  

The welcome dinner was to die for. Everything tasted amazing.  The food here is so delicious. At dinner we got so much food. I believe it came to a total of 7 courses. There was seafood, pork, chicken, beef, vegetables, fruits, rice, noodles, and anything else you can think of. My personal favorite was the fried octopus! It was a great first day, I'm so happy to be here!  Hen gap lai!

No comments:

Post a Comment